The Regional Seminar on "International Trade Statistics" was held on 12-14 June 2012 in Amman, Jordan. The workshop was co-organised with the Arab Institute for Training and Research in Statistics (AITRS) in collaboration with the United Nations Statistical Division (UNSD), United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UNESCWA) and Department of Statistics (DOS) Jordan.
The training seminar attended by 36 participants representing 20 Arab states; namely Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Sultanate of Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and Yemen. Major aim of the workshop was to introduce the recently revised concepts and definitions of the International Merchandise Statistics (IMTS 2010) and Manual on Statistics of International Trade in Services (MSITS 2010). During the workshop the participants were informed about the following issues:
- Status of statistics of international trade in services in the ESCWA region: lessons learned, ESCWA work on trade statistics and overview of the results of the MSITS questionnaire
- Main recommendations for international merchandise trade statistics: IMTS 2010 and its implementation
- The recommendations for statistics of international trade in services: MSITS 2010 and the Compilers Guide for MSITS 2010
- Trade and globalization
- Linking trade with other economic and social statistics
- Integrated approach of trade in goods and services
Country experiences on the implementation of the IMTS 2010 and MSITS 2010 were also shared during the seminar.